‘Remember to celebrate milestones as you prepare for the road ahead’ – Nelson Mandela
This quote recently caught my attention. As we conclude another successful academic year it’s important that we Stop, Celebrate and Notice! It’s important that we are present with what is in front of us, and thankful for what we have been through as a community, especially when we have all worked so diligently across the year.
It has been wonderful to see the successes of our staff and students in a range of areas over the past month. This has included first place in the inaugural RHB ‘Rock the Boat’ Screen and Media Awards for our Year 10’s Short Story film ‘The Lift’, produced by Mr Norris and directed by Mr Newcombe. The ‘Hospitality Group Training School Partnership of the Year Award’ to Mr Hywood’s Food and Technology team, the presentation of an ACEL Teacher Leader Award for Excellence to Mr Oeij. Our Year 8, 9 and 10 successes in the Regional and State Championships. Year 12 Rachel Gillies selection by the Football Federation of Australia to complete in the National Schools Championships. The Year 3 to 6 students were awarded the meritorious shield for the highest overall points per students participating at the CPSSA Interschool Athletics Carnival and produced another outstanding musical performance in ‘The Amazing Adventures of Superstan.’ Take the time to look at our College Facebook page to find out some further information about each of these events.
Over the past weeks we have also seen student orientation for those students joining us across the College in 2023. 72 new Kindergarten students attended their small group sessions, with another 25 students from Years 1 to 6 joining the Primary School, connecting with their peers for the upcoming academic year. Our current Year 6 students were joined by 45 new students, earlier this term, as they enjoyed a day experiencing all that secondary school will offer them next year. An additional 13 students have joined us in Year 8 to 12. It looks like we are set to commence the 2023 Academic Year with 1,300 students from Kindergarten to Year 12, yet another reason to celebrate!
Thank you to our fantastic staff for another successful year. Whether it be our teaching and support staff in Childcare, Primary School, Secondary School, Administration Staff our Maintenance Team, Student Services staff, Uniform and Canteen Staff, it’s great to have a large team actively working together to provide an optimal learning environment for your children. I am thankful for the high calibre teaching and support staff who work at the College to provide such an outstanding level of care and education to your children. One of my experienced staff members recently commented to me that over her extensive time in the field of education, she has never worked with such a qualified group of professionals! I hope you have the opportunity to thank your child’s teachers for their efforts over the past 12 months.
I trust you family will have the opportunity to join us at some of our end of year events taking place across the College, as noted below:
- Kindy Koorlongka Graduation & light afternoon tea – Thursday, 8th December, from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. Children will all need to meet in the Koorlongka room at 2:30pm, where children will get dressed into their graduation gowns. Then they will make our way to the College Hall. Families and friends are welcomed to join us.
- Childcare Whole Centre Christmas Party – Friday, 9th December, from 10:00am to 1:00pm. There will be various fun activities throughout the morning like sausage sizzle, bouncy castle, animal petting farm on the oval, book gift giving and face painting. In the College Hall there will be Happy Feet Fitness presentation, our Nativity play and singing Christmas Carols.
- Vacation Care Holiday Program – We have a wonderful program planned with many exciting and fun things for the children. The opening hours will be 6:30am to 6:00pm weekdays. We are now taking bookings for Thursday, 8th December 2022, through to Tuesday, 31st January 2023. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Childcare Centre directly on 9540 4444 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Vacation Care Christmas closure 23rd December 2022 to 3rd January 2023.
Last day of Childcare Service for 2022 is Thursday, 22nd December 2022. The first day back for Childcare in 2023 is Wednesday, 4th January 2023.
The following Primary Events are taking place over upcoming final weeks of the 2022 Academic year:
- Carols with Kindy Christmas Picnic – Tuesday, 22nd November – 5:30pm
- *Pre-Primary & Year 1 Presentation Night – Thursday, 24th November – 5:30pm
- *Years 2 & 4 Presentation Night – Wednesday, 30th November – 5:30pm
- *Years 3 & 5 Presentation Night – Thursday, 1st December – 5:30pm
- Pre-Primary to Year 2 Christmas Assembly – Friday, 2nd December – 8:50am
- Year 6 Graduation Evening – Tuesday, 6th December – 5:30pm
*Please note that tickets are limited to 2 per family for the Pre-Primary to Year 5 Presentation Evenings. An email was sent out earlier this week regarding booking for these three evenings as noted above. If you have any queries, please contact Primary Administration via email – email@example.com or phone – 9540 4400
- The Rite Journey Homecoming Ceremony – Friday, 25th November – 5:30 to 7:30pm
- Gymnastics Academy Presentations – Wednesday, 23rd November
- Year 10-11 Final Day – Friday, 25th November
- Prefect Camp – Tuesday, 29th November, to Thursday, 1st December
- Year 7-11 Presentation Evening – Monday, 5th December
- Year 7-9 Last Day Adventure World Excursion – Wednesday, 7th December
The Final Day of school for students 2022 is Wednesday, 7th December 2022. Our Kindergarten to Year 7 students commence the 2023 academic year on Wednesday, 1st February 2023. Year 8 to 12 students commence 2023 on Thursday, 2nd February 2023. Further information about the upcoming academic year can be found on the Parent’s area of the College website: https://www.scbc.wa.edu.au/portal/parents-area/
As we reflect on the year that has past, we should feel a sense of joy and achievement with everything that we accomplished and as we look to 2023, may there be a sense of hope with the new adventures and challenges that lie ahead.
“’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. ‘” — Jeremiah 29:1
Farewell Mr Des Mitchell
We would like to thank Mr Des Mitchell, for his leadership of the College over the past 11 years. Mr Mitchell joined the College, formally known as Maranatha Christian College, with approximately 700 students in October 2010. His leadership and vision saw the College grow to 1232 students by the conclusion of the 2022 academic year.
Mr Mitchell managed the College through its rebrand from Maranatha Christian College to South Coast Baptist College. He initiated a large-scale Master Building Plan and led the College with the completion of two major construction projects of the Secondary STEM Build Stages and the near completion of a state of the are Gymnastics Centre. Under Mr Mitchell’s leadership the College remained steadfastly attentive on its academic rigour and programs, including the introduction of the Football, Gymnastics and Vocal Academy initiatives, which are strongly supported by current students and families.
Mr Mitchell was also heavily involved within the broader Rockingham community. He actively looked at supporting our students, with their post-secondary opportunities. During his tenure as Principal, he was the Chair of the Principal’s Committee for Kwinana Industries Council, a member of the Rockingham Kwinana Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Rockingham Education & Training Advisory Committee, a member of the Association of Heads of Independent Schools Australia and a member of the Rockingham Minister’s Gathering with our local Ministers/Pastors and various other committees. He promoted student wellbeing with Alan Rycroft on IPL Radio (a local radio station) during a few radio segments. We will always be appreciative of his service here at the College and wish him all the best for the future.
Proverbs 12:21 “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails”.